List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Wultsch Date:July 5 2010 5:41pm
Subject:Re: How to slim MySQL?
View as plain text
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Nima Mohammadi <nima.irt@stripped> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Rob Wultsch <wultsch@stripped> wrote:
>

>> Have you considered SQLite?
>>
>> You probably want to compile your own version of MySQL. You probably
>> want to remove debugging symbols* (which have been present since the
>> mid 5.0 series, iirc), and any engines/character sets/etc you don't
>> need.
>>
>> *Alternatively you can run the strip command.
>>
>> --
>> Rob Wultsch
>> wultsch@stripped
>>

> Well, I'm not in charge of deciding which RDBMS to use and the MySQL is
> needed for a program which has already been written. So it seems that we
> have no choice but to stick with MySQL.
> I guess for removing debug symbols I need to add the "--without-debug"
> option to the ./configure command. I think using these options would also be
> helpful:
>
>   - --without-man
>   - --without-docs
>   - --without-ipv6
>   - --disable-largefile
>
> I'm not sure which engine we're going to use, so I'll have to defer this to
> another time.
> Is there any other work I could do to strip MySQL?
>
> *-- Nima Mohammadi*

This is not a topic I have worked with previously.  I image this may
be a good topic to bring to a consulting company (specifically Percona
and Open Query might work well) if you are unable to meet your size
goals.

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@stripped
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?Rob Wultsch5 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi5 Jul
          • Re: How to slim MySQL?Michael Dykman5 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?Joerg Bruehe6 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi6 Jul
  • Re: How to slim MySQL?mos6 Jul
    • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi6 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?AndrĂ©s Tello6 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi7 Jul
Re: How to slim MySQL?Michael Dykman5 Jul