List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:July 4 2010 11:36pm
Subject:Re: Why is Host option Failing?
View as plain text
What user are you at the time you are running these tests.  Would I be
correct in guessing 'root'?

The reason localhost works is because, in some distros, root is
enabled localhost with no password .. which is dangerous enough..
granting root@'%" would be an invitation to disaster..

From that same command line, what do you get for
$ dig photon

You likely want to make a grant suitable rfor that network address for
the user you are trying to use.

 - michael dykman

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Michael Satterwhite <michael@stripped> wrote:
> I've recently reloaded my box (PCLinuxOS). The machine name on the network is
> photon. I've set this in the hosts table, in hostname, and on the network. in
> my.cnf I have the following 2 lines:
>
> bind-address            = photon
> bind-address            = localhost
>
> The "skip-networking" directive is commented out. If I execute
>
>        mysql -h photon
>
> I get: ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'photon' (111).
>
> mysql -h localhost
>
> Works fine. Would someone be so kind as to let me know what I'm missing?
> Thanks in advance
> ---Michael

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 May the Source be with you.
Thread
Why is Host option Failing?Michael Satterwhite5 Jul
  • Re: Why is Host option Failing?Michael Dykman5 Jul
Re: Why is Host option Failing?Michael Satterwhite5 Jul
Re: Why is Host option Failing?Michael Satterwhite5 Jul
  • Re: Why is Host option Failing?Bob Cole5 Jul
    • Re: Why is Host option Failing?Michael Satterwhite5 Jul
  • Re: Why is Host option Failing?burhan.khalid5 Jul