List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Stoltz Date:June 30 2010 5:30pm
Subject:INSERT with auto increment
View as plain text
Hi All,

In MS SQL, if the table has an identity field/primary key which is set
to auto increment, you can leave the value out of an INSERT statement,
and the next highest value will be automatically inserted...

For instance, with a two column table I could do "INSERT INTO TABLE1
VALUES('stuff')"

I'm having trouble doing the same thing in mySQL...

In mySQL, if I expressly give it a value, like "INSERT INTO TABLE1
VALUES(17,'stuff')" - it works fine. But if I remove the 17, it says I
don't have a matching number of columns.

The field in question has a foreign key in another table, making this a
primary key in theory, but there's nothing in myphpadmin that shows this
as a primary key - perhaps this is the problem?

Need some guidance....

Thanks!

Dave

Thread
INSERT with auto incrementDavid Stoltz30 Jun
  • Re: INSERT with auto incrementMichael Dykman30 Jun
    • RE: INSERT with auto incrementDavid Stoltz1 Jul
  • Re: INSERT with auto incrementjoao30 Jun
Re: INSERT with auto incrementJan Steinman30 Jun