List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Lyons Date:June 24 2010 3:30pm
Subject:Re: Altering database size to add more space
View as plain text
What do you mean "time to increase"?  What tells you that?

A database's size is determined by the amount of available diskspace.  If
you need more than the filesystem that it is currently on has, then you can
either move the entire schema (which is synonymous to "database") to another
filesystem and symlink it.  You can also store individual tables and table
files on other file systems and symlink those.  Either way, you have the
total collection of disk space available to you.  This assumes a Linux OS.

If your innodb tables are being restricted, you need to see if you have a
max size defined for the table space and if that is what you're bumping
into.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Sarkis Karayan <skarayan@stripped> wrote:

> I feel like I am missing something, because I am not able to find the
> answer to this simple question.
>
> How can I increase the size of a database?
>
> I am using the following query to check the available space and notice
> that it is time to increase.
>
> SELECT
>  table_schema AS 'Db Name',
>  Round( Sum( data_length + index_length ) / 1024 / 1024, 3) AS 'Db Size
> (MB)',
>  Round( Sum( data_free ) / 1024 / 1024, 3 ) AS 'Free Space (MB)'
> FROM information_schema.tables
> GROUP BY table_schema ;
>

> Thank you.

Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator
http://www.weblyons.com

Thread
Altering database size to add more spaceSarkis Karayan24 Jun
  • Re: Altering database size to add more spaceAnanda Kumar24 Jun
  • Re: Altering database size to add more spaceJim Lyons24 Jun
    • Re: Altering database size to add more spacePrabhat Kumar25 Jun
      • Re: Altering database size to add more spaceJohan De Meersman25 Jun
        • Re: Altering database size to add more spaceJim Lyons25 Jun
          • Re: Altering database size to add more spaceCarsten Pedersen25 Jun