List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jaime Crespo Rincón Date:June 24 2010 8:31am
Subject:Re: MySQL Replication
View as plain text
2010/6/24 Tompkins Neil <neil.tompkins@stripped>:
> HI,
>
> We have set-up MySQL Community Server 5.1.46 with Master to Slave
> replication and everything appears to be working correctly, however I have a
> couple of questions which I hope somebody can shed some light.
>
> (1) When the network connection goes down between the master and slave
> servers, it would appear that the updates are only sent from the master to
> the slave, but not from the slave to the master when the connect is
> re-established.  Is this correct ?

In a master-slave architecture, updates are always from the master to
the slave. If you want two-way replication, that is a master-master
setup, but not recommended in general unless in a very controlled
environment.

> (2) What is the situation regarding conflicts if the same master and slave
> record is edited at the same time ?

Fail :-) Whenever there is a conflict in the replication process, it
stops. You have to solve the issues manually and then start the
replication again. This usually occurs due to the
synchronous/distributed nature of the replication.

--
Jaime Crespo
MySQL & Java Instructor