List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:a.smith Date:May 26 2010 8:54am
Subject:Re: source backup.sql - troubleshoot
View as plain text
Quoting Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>:

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM, <a.smith@stripped> wrote:
>
>> If you are trying to restore from backup.sql to a database called soure
>> then your syntax is wrong. You should be running:
>>
>> mysql source < backup.sql
>>

> You are assuming that the file named "backup.sql" contains a backup of the
> database named "backup". There is no grounds in the mail that support that
> assumption; I would even say that 'backup.sql' is a rather generic name for
> a file containing a backup. Such naming is not uncommon for a one-shot
> backup; or it might be used as a placeholder in an explanation.

Actually Im assuming a DB name of "source", which I mentioned in my
first post. Thats actually an bad assumption as, as Ive just read,
source is an alternative way to read in data from a file that Id never
seen before. However the syntax would still seem to be bad, assuming
the command is being run from the command prompt as opposed to the
mysql command prompt. According to the man page the two options from
the command prompt are:

        shell> mysql db_name < backup-file.sql
OR
        shell> mysql -e "source /path-to-backup/backup-file.sql" db_name

thanks Andy.

Thread
source backup.sql - troubleshootSydney Puente25 May
  • RE: source backup.sql - troubleshootDaevid Vincent26 May
  • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootRob Wultsch26 May
  • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshoota.smith26 May
    • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootJohan De Meersman26 May
      • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshoota.smith26 May
        • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootJohan De Meersman26 May
          • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootSydney Puente26 May
            • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootJohan De Meersman26 May
              • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootSydney Puente26 May
                • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootJohan De Meersman26 May
                  • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootSydney Puente26 May
                    • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootJohan De Meersman26 May
            • Re: source backup.sql - troubleshootDimitre Radoulov26 May