List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Gustafson Date:May 21 2010 4:27pm
Subject:Re: Database Quotas
View as plain text
> i guess my thinking is more along the lines of implementing
> a lustre interface

I'm sure that I'm vastly over-simplifying this, but I was thinking something along the
lines of:

1. Assemble the data being written, calculate its length

2. Check for any free pages in the database file, and use them if there's enough

3. If there aren't enough free pages, check the file system's available space and make
sure it exceeds the size of the write being performed

4. If there's enough free disk space, write the record.  Otherwise, return an error

I'm thinking that this would be implemented at the storage engine level, and probably just
for MyISAM tables.

Just my $0.02.  Based on the reply from Johnny Withers, I'm thinking that just using ZFS
file system quotas will work for me, but it does seem that this would be a handy feature
to have built in to mySQL for people who don't have ZFS, or who can't use it for some
reason.

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@stripped
831-459-5354
Thread
Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
  • Re: Database QuotasNoel Butler21 May
    • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
      • RE: Database QuotasMartin Gainty21 May
        • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
          • Re: Database QuotasJohnny Withers21 May
          • RE: Database QuotasMartin Gainty21 May
    • Re: Database QuotasColin Streicher21 May
      • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
        • Re: Database QuotasColin Streicher21 May
          • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
  • Re: Database QuotasShawn Green21 May
Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May