List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Gustafson Date:May 21 2010 5:11am
Subject:Re: Database Quotas
View as plain text
> First, generally speaking, putting a quota on an entire database means
> you are probably doing it wrong. In a perfect world, it seems to be
> that building a database which can maintain a size without constant
> mothering would be best, this doesn't always happen for one reason
> or another, but of all the ways to maintain a constant database size,
> quotas are one of the worst.

We have a shared mySQL server that is used by web sites, research projects, admin staff
and graduate students.  None of those types of people are sensitive to database storage
restrictions, and what we're trying to accomplish is to prevent any one of those users
from going out of control (either by accident, due to a bug, or on purpose) and
clobbering the entire mySQL server.  Better to have one "dead" database than a whole
server.

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@stripped
831-459-5354
Thread
Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
  • Re: Database QuotasNoel Butler21 May
    • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
      • RE: Database QuotasMartin Gainty21 May
        • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
          • Re: Database QuotasJohnny Withers21 May
          • RE: Database QuotasMartin Gainty21 May
    • Re: Database QuotasColin Streicher21 May
      • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
        • Re: Database QuotasColin Streicher21 May
          • Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May
  • Re: Database QuotasShawn Green21 May
Re: Database QuotasTim Gustafson21 May