List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:machielr Date:May 20 2010 8:02am
Subject:Re: Innodb buffer pool size
View as plain text

Well, my question is specifically related to in the event that the buffer usage reaches
100%

Quoting Nitin Mehta <ntnmht@stripped>:

> Hi,
>
> First thing that comes to my mind is that it is probably the best time to put your
> application server and database server on different hosts. Having said that, in this case
> increasing buffer pool size is still advisable as per my understanding. Your swap
> consumption will go up in that case which is not very good either. But giving only 4 GB to
> Innodb is even worse for the performance. It is subjective though. You should first check
> if MySQL is actually using the allotted 4GB or not. If not, increasing the value will not
> help.
>
> Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :-)
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Regards,
> Nitin
>
> -------------------------
> FROM: Machiel Richards <machielr@stripped>
> TO: mysql@stripped
> SENT: Thu, May 20, 2010 1:07:43 PM
> SUBJECT: Innodb buffer pool size
>
> Hi Guys
>
>     I just have a quick question.
>
>   I have done some research into how to determine the size of your Innodb
> buffer pool.
>
>   All of the sources I used, specified that the Innodb buffer pool size
> should be the same size as your database + 10%.
>
>     However, as far as I understand it, the buffer size also relies on that
> amount of memory being available. Thus if you increase the buffer size, the
> amount of memory used will be increased.
>
>   My thinking however, is whathappens when the database size grows bigger
> than the amount of memory available to the hardware.
>
>   Say for instance,  a server with MySQL also runs other applications. The
> amount of memory on the server is 32Gb and about 31Gb is already in use.
>
>     The current Innodb buffer pool size is at 4Gb for instance, and the
> innodb tables then grow to be about 8Gb in size.
>
>   What would be the appropriate actions for this to ensure the buffers are
> set to the size to best suit the database needs?

Thread
Innodb buffer pool sizeMachiel Richards20 May
  • Re: Innodb buffer pool sizeNitin Mehta20 May
    • Re: Innodb buffer pool sizemachielr20 May
  • Re: Innodb buffer pool sizeRaj Shekhar21 May
  • Re: Innodb buffer pool sizeBaron Schwartz26 May