List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:May 11 2010 3:36pm
Subject:How to put table definition into another table using SQL?
View as plain text
I'd like to get the field names and data types of a table, say TableX, and
put it into TableDef using nothing but SQL. I know I can list the table
definition using "Describe Table" and then loop through the results and
insert the first two columns Field and Type into TableDef, but is there a
way to do it using just SQL?

Example:
Describe TableX:

First_Name	Char(15)  ....
Last_Name	Char(20) ...
Start_Date	Date  ..
Salary		Double  ..

And I'd like TableDef to have these rows:

ColName	ColType
---------------             --------------
First_Name	Char(15)
Last_Name	Char(20)
Start_Date	Date
Salary		Double

Is there a way to do this with one SQL statement? I'm really looking for
the MySQL internal table where it stores the table definitions.

TIA
Mike

Thread
How to put table definition into another table using SQL?mos11 May
  • Re: How to put table definition into another table using SQL?Nuno Tavares11 May
  • Re: How to put table definition into another table using SQL?Phil11 May
  • Re: How to put table definition into another table using SQL?Anirudh Sundar11 May
    • Re: How to put table definition into another table using SQL?mos11 May
      • Re: How to put table definition into another table using SQL?Carlos Proal11 May