List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:weyseal Date:May 7 2010 3:47pm
Subject:Re: Re: Changing date result automatically
View as plain text
Thank you for your explanation. I was just curious if there was an "easy"
way to format the output of the dates.. maybe by using a wildcard
expression on the field names :)

Weydson Lima

On May 7, 2010 3:08am, Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped> wrote:
> Dates are not internally stored as a specific region format, they're
> stored as seconds since epoch - just a big number.

> Output formatting is a presentation layer issue, which you can solve
> either in your SQL [select date_format(datefield, 'us format string')
> from table] or in your application.

> Maybe MySQL looks at the system's locale for default formatting, or
> there's a config setting, but I've never looked at that - doing it
> explicitly protects you from annoying glitches when you move to another
> system that might be configured slightly differently.

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Weydson Lima weyseal@stripped> wrote:

> I was referring to the function:

> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_date-format

> ---

> Weydson Lima

> weyseal@stripped

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Martin Gainty mgainty@stripped> wrote:

> > http://lists.mysql.com/commits/60834

> > date_format system variable is currently an unused system variable

> > Martin Gainty

> > Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité

> > Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene

> > Empfaenger sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede
> unbefugte

> > Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese
> Nachricht

> > dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine

> > rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von

> > E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.

> > Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas
> le destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire
> informez l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la
> copie de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et
> n'aura pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que
> les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne
> pouvons accepter aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> > > From: weyseal@gmail.com

> > > Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 11:44:37 -0500

> > > Subject: Changing date result automatically

> > > To: mysql@stripped

> > > Hi,

> > > Is there any way to format all dates generated by a MySQL query as US

> > > format? What I want to do is having a generic way to use the
> DATE_FORMAT

> > > function on all my date fields, instead of having to enter them
> manually.

> > > Thank you

> > > ---

> > > Weydson Lima

> > > weyseal@stripped

> > > http://bluetoothmono.weydson.com

> > The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
> inbox. Get

> [...]

Thread
Changing date result automaticallyWeydson Lima6 May
Re: Changing date result automaticallyWeydson Lima6 May
  • Re: Changing date result automaticallyJohan De Meersman7 May
    • Re: Re: Changing date result automaticallyweyseal7 May
  • Re: Changing date result automaticallyMichael Dykman7 May