List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nitin Mehta Date:May 4 2010 6:45am
Subject:Re: mysql transaction log
View as plain text
I think you've got it a little wrong. In MySQL, transaction log is different from bin-log.
Transaction logs are used only for Innodb while bin-logs are optional and capture data
related to all the storage engines. I believe, you cannot read thru the transaction logs
and these logs files (used in cyclic fashion) are only for the purpose of Instance
recovery other than providing transaction support. Bin logs, on the other hand are used
mainly for two purposes - replication and PTR (point-in-time recovery). A small utility
called mysqlbinlog can read through the bin logs and generate SQL file which is very
handy if you need to take up PTR or just want to verify any details.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Nitin