List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jamesadrian Date:April 28 2010 6:14am
View as plain text
In the ReadMe.pdf that came with the mysql that I downloaded from, there is this comment:

You might want to add aliases to your shell's resource file to make it
easier to access commonly used programs such as `mysql' and `mysqladmin'
from the command line. The syntax for `bash' is this:

alias mysql=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
alias mysqladmin=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin

Even better, add `/usr/local/mysql/bin' to your `PATH' environment
variable. You can do this by modifying the appropriate startup file for
your shell. For more information, see *Note invoking-programs.

My questions are these:

1.    What is the appropriate startup file for my shell (which is bash
on OS X)?

2.    Is this the best discussion group for the question above?

The installation comment said "For more information, see *Note
invoking-programs" but I don't find such a note in all of the downloaded

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian

installationjamesadrian28 Apr
  • Re: installationAnand Kumar28 Apr