List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesper Wisborg Krogh Date:April 26 2010 11:28pm
Subject:Re: How to compute the min and max of two numbers?
View as plain text
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:08:29 Peng Yu wrote:
> I don't see there is a function to compute min or max of two numbers
> in a row. Essentially I want to select all the rows where the minimum
> of column1 and column2 are bigger than the maximum of col3 and col4
> (The following code won't work as I expected, if I am correct).
>
> select * from a_table where min(col1, col2) >= max(col3,col4)

I think what you are looking for is GREATEST and LEAST. See also
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/comparison-operators.html#function_least
and
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/comparison-operators.html#function_greatest

Best regards,
Jesper
Thread
How to compute the min and max of two numbers?Peng Yu27 Apr
  • Re: How to compute the min and max of two numbers?Jesper Wisborg Krogh27 Apr
  • Re: How to compute the min and max of two numbers?Peter Brawley27 Apr