List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Koch Date:April 22 1999 12:07am
Subject:Re: Ballpark performance.
View as plain text
Brian Bray wrote:

> I know that asking how many queries per second mysql is capable of
> handling is a bad question but I really need a ballpark guestimate.
>
> I am trying to forcast my db server needs for the next year or two.  I'm
> not worried about the web server end of things because web servers are
> easily scalable, db servers are not.
>
> Basically if I were to get a pretty hot machine (something like dual
> processors and 1/2 gig of ram) dedicated to mySQL I need to know about how
> many queries per second I could expect to get of it.
>
> The query breakdown would be something like this:
>   50% Simple SELECT (NO JOINS) returning 50-100 records each.
>   25% More complex SELECT queries (Containing Joins) usually returning a
>       single row but sometimes more.
>   20% Updates
>    5% Other
>
>  And lets say that the main tables being maipulated contain approxamately
> a million records each.
>
> As I said I know this is a bad question.  Too many variables but I just
> want a ballpark (say 50 queries/sec 100 queries/sec or what?)

% w
  7:52pm  up 57 days, 23:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.00
% mysqladmin status
Uptime: 3806865  Threads: 77  Questions: 41674463  Slow queries: 244  Opens:
2834  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 127

We've been doing an average of 10 queries (mostly selects) per second over 44
days of uptime, if I did my math right.  This is on a 30 table database, with
200,000 records and 600 MB in the largest table.  Each select query does at
least one join.  During peak times, it does between 300 and 400 queries per
second.  Before upgrading MySQL had been running for 200 or so days straight.

The machine is an SGI Origin 200, dual 180Mhz R10000 processors, with a single
7200 rpm ultra SCSI drive for the database, 512 MB RAM.

--
Dan Koch
Webmaster

Thread
Ballpark performance.Brian Bray22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Sasha Pachev22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Daniel Koch22 Apr
RE: Ballpark performance.tcobb22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Matthias Pigulla22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)23 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Derick H Siddoway23 Apr