List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:April 23 2010 8:34am
Subject:Re: Auto Increment in InnoDB
View as plain text
It might also be done by keeping a last-revision table. Then you'd only
select 1 record from that, and up the number.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Chris W <4rfvgy7@stripped> wrote:

> Johan De Meersman wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Carsten Pedersen <carsten@stripped
>> >wrote:
>>

>>>  Wouldn't that strategy cause problems if one or more rows have been
>>> deleted in the meantime? (i.e. sequence numbers 1-4 have been created,
>>> row
>>> 2 has been deleted - new sequence number would be 4).
>>>

>> Yeps. I'm none too sharp today, apparently. Max() it is.
>>

> That may not be an issue in this case.  Since it sounds like he is keeping
> a revision history, I wouldn't be surprised if he plans on not allowing the
> deleting of records, unless of course all of the revision history for a
> given file Cluster/File are deleted.  If that is the case the count would
> work fine.  If that is not the case, max may not work either since if the
> last revision record has been deleted then using max will give faulty data
> as well.  Seems the only way for something like this to work is if you keep
> the full revision history.  Although I suppose that if you were to keep say
> the most recent  X revisions then the last revision would always be in the
> table and max could work where count would not always.
>
> Chris W

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
Auto Increment in InnoDBAveek Misra22 Apr
  • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBJohan De Meersman22 Apr
    • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBAveek Misra22 Apr
      • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBJohan De Meersman22 Apr
        • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBAveek Misra22 Apr
          • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBJohan De Meersman22 Apr
            • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBAveek Misra22 Apr
              • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBJohan De Meersman22 Apr
            • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBCarsten Pedersen22 Apr
              • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBJohan De Meersman22 Apr
                • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBChris W22 Apr
                  • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBJohan De Meersman23 Apr
  • Re: Auto Increment in InnoDBmos22 Apr