List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Perrin Harkins Date:April 21 2010 3:26pm
Subject:Re: More CPU or More RAM?
View as plain text
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:14 AM, shamubro@stripped <shamubro@stripped> wrote:
> This is my current my.cnf setttings. Could anyone take a quick peek and tell
> me if I set anything awfully wrong?

If your tables are MyISAM (not InnoDB), then 128MB is much too small
for your key_buffer.  You should look at the sample my.cnf files that
come in the mysql documentation.  Those will give you a better
starting point.

And to answer your original question, in general, RAM is more useful
than anything else for a database.  Whatever is using your CPU might
be work that could be pushed off to your web layer, but the data
access can't be.

- Perrin
Thread
More CPU or More RAM?shamubro@gmail.com21 Apr
  • Re: More CPU or More RAM?Johan De Meersman21 Apr
    • Re: More CPU or More RAM?shamubro@gmail.com21 Apr
      • Re: More CPU or More RAM?Johan De Meersman22 Apr
        • Re: More CPU or More RAM?Johan De Meersman22 Apr
    • RE: More CPU or More RAM?Johan Gant21 Apr
      • Re: More CPU or More RAM?shamubro@gmail.com21 Apr
        • Re: More CPU or More RAM?Perrin Harkins21 Apr
          • Re: More CPU or More RAM?shamubro@gmail.com21 Apr
      • Re: More CPU or More RAM?shamubro@gmail.com21 Apr
        • Re: More CPU or More RAM?Tom Worster21 Apr
          • Re: More CPU or More RAM?Rudy Lippan22 Apr