List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gavin Towey Date:April 20 2010 12:49am
Subject:RE: better way to backup 50 Gig db?
View as plain text
What Shawn said is important.

Better options:
1. Use InnoDB, and then you can make a consistent backup with `mysqldump
--single-transaction > backup.sql`  and keep your db server actively responding to
requests at the same time.

2. Use something like LVM to create filesytem snapshots which allow you to backup your
database, while only keeping a read lock on the db for a second or so.