List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Wultsch Date:April 18 2010 6:35pm
Subject:Re: How to corrupt a database please???
View as plain text
On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Andrés Tello <mr.criptos@stripped> wrote:
> What if the DBA ask for the backup?
>
> And those recommendations can be "fixed" or they have a very high chance of
> making recovery impossible?

Who is the dba going to ask for a backup? Himself? The guy that puts
backups on tape? One way or another the DBA damn well better know how
to get a backup.

Failing off of a server gets you on to a slave which should be sync'd
with the master. If you restore from backup then you can run a pitr .
In my opinion both of these options are usually superior to running
repair table on a production server. That is if you like uptime.

For the record innodb corruption is quite rare, at least in comparison
to MyISAM corruption. If I get a call at 2AM and find a server having
died  due to innodb corruption I would fail off of the server. No ifs,
no ands, not buts. I would assume:
1. Possible, perhaps even probably hardware issues if there is Innodb
corruptions.
2. A failover takes a set amount of time. Repairing corruptions will
usually take longer, perhaps much much longer.

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@stripped