List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Geert-Jan Brits Date:April 16 2010 11:43am
Subject:Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL?
(PHP/MySQL)
View as plain text
As a side-note: letting a random user (such as your website visitor) wait
for a couple of seconds is usually not good practice, unless you have a very
good incentive for them to do so.

2010/4/16 Jørn Dahl-Stamnes <sql06@stripped>

> On Friday 16 April 2010 11:39, Antonio PHP wrote:
> > This maybe a newbie question.
> >
> > Consider the following concept,
> >
> > ~/index.php
> >
> > #1. Fetch data from an external webpage using PHP Curl;
> > #2. Preg_match/Prepare Data to INSERT from local MySQL; - this may take a
> > few secs
> > #3. While Loop { INSERT data (from #2) into local MySQL } - this may take
> > only mili secs.
> >
> > Suppose this code is run by a random user (say, my website visitor), and
> > he/she closes the browser while the code was running. The real problem is
> > when the browser is closed while #3 is executing. Because only portion of
> > data is inserted, ~/index.php, and it doesn't know if it needs to visit
> the
> > site again (i.e. repeat from #1 -> over visiting the same webpage /
> > possibility of inaccurate data in local MySQL).
>
> The server does not know if the browser is closed or not (or if the network
> connection is losted). It will continue to execute the code until
> finnished.
>
> --
> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
> homepage: http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Antonio PHP16 Apr
  • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Jørn Dahl-Stamnes16 Apr
    • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Geert-Jan Brits16 Apr
    • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTOMySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Carsten Pedersen16 Apr
      • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Antonio PHP17 Apr
    • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL?(PHP/MySQL)Nigel Wood19 Apr
      • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Johan De Meersman19 Apr
        • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTO MySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Michael Dykman19 Apr
  • Re: What if the user closes the browser while INSERT INTOMySQL? (PHP/MySQL)Carsten Pedersen16 Apr