List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Glyn Astill Date:April 14 2010 10:06am
Subject:Re: Recommended swap partition size
View as plain text
--- On Wed, 14/4/10, Dan Nelson <dnelson@stripped> wrote:

> Hammerman said:
> > My organization has a dedicated MySQL server. The
> system has 32Gb of
> > memory, and is running CentOS 5.3.  The default
> engine will be InnoDB.
> > Does anyone know how much space should be dedicated to
> swap?
>
> I say zero swap, or if for some reason you NEED swap (for
> crashdumps maybe,
> but I didn't think Linux supported that), no more than
> 2GB.  With that much
> RAM, you don't ever want to be in the state where the OS
> decides to page out
> 8GB of memory (for example) to swap.  We have a few
> Oracle servers with
> between 32 and 48 GB of memory and they all live just fine
> without swap.

But surely better to have a server that is paging out and has slowed to a crawl than one
where the oom killer starts killing off your processes, with no swap I'd be turning
overcommit off.

Thread
Recommended swap partition sizeJoe Hammerman14 Apr
  • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeDan Nelson14 Apr
    • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeKyong Kim14 Apr
      • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeJohan De Meersman14 Apr
    • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeGlyn Astill14 Apr
      • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen18 Apr
        • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeRob Wultsch18 Apr
          • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen18 Apr
        • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeJohan De Meersman19 Apr
          • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen19 Apr