List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:April 14 2010 9:16am
Subject:Re: Recommended swap partition size
View as plain text
Correct, but when something *does* go amiss, some swap may give you the time
you need to fix things before you really go down :-)

So, yeah, a gig or two should be fine. There's also no real need for an
actual swap partition, these days - just use a swap file. Performance is
only marginally less than a dedicated partition, and it's not like you
expect to use it a lot anyway.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Kyong Kim <kykimdba@stripped> wrote:

> Yeah. One of the telltale signs of something amiss is excessive swap
> activity.
> You're not going to be happy with the performance when the swap space
> is actually in use heavily.
> Kyong
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Dan Nelson <dnelson@stripped>
> wrote:
> > In the last episode (Apr 13), Joe Hammerman said:
> >> My organization has a dedicated MySQL server. The system has 32Gb of
> >> memory, and is running CentOS 5.3.  The default engine will be InnoDB.
> >> Does anyone know how much space should be dedicated to swap?
> >
> > I say zero swap, or if for some reason you NEED swap (for crashdumps
> maybe,
> > but I didn't think Linux supported that), no more than 2GB.  With that
> much
> > RAM, you don't ever want to be in the state where the OS decides to page
> out
> > 8GB of memory (for example) to swap.  We have a few Oracle servers with
> > between 32 and 48 GB of memory and they all live just fine without swap.
> >
> > --
> >        Dan Nelson
> >        dnelson@stripped
> >
> > --

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
Recommended swap partition sizeJoe Hammerman14 Apr
  • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeDan Nelson14 Apr
    • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeKyong Kim14 Apr
      • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeJohan De Meersman14 Apr
    • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeGlyn Astill14 Apr
      • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen18 Apr
        • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeRob Wultsch18 Apr
          • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen18 Apr
        • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeJohan De Meersman19 Apr
          • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen19 Apr