List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kyong Kim Date:April 14 2010 3:59am
Subject:Re: Recommended swap partition size
View as plain text
Yeah. One of the telltale signs of something amiss is excessive swap activity.
You're not going to be happy with the performance when the swap space
is actually in use heavily.
Kyong

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Dan Nelson <dnelson@stripped> wrote:
> In the last episode (Apr 13), Joe Hammerman said:
>> My organization has a dedicated MySQL server. The system has 32Gb of
>> memory, and is running CentOS 5.3.  The default engine will be InnoDB.
>> Does anyone know how much space should be dedicated to swap?
>
> I say zero swap, or if for some reason you NEED swap (for crashdumps maybe,
> but I didn't think Linux supported that), no more than 2GB.  With that much
> RAM, you don't ever want to be in the state where the OS decides to page out
> 8GB of memory (for example) to swap.  We have a few Oracle servers with
> between 32 and 48 GB of memory and they all live just fine without swap.
>
> --
>        Dan Nelson
>        dnelson@stripped

Recommended swap partition sizeJoe Hammerman14 Apr
  • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeDan Nelson14 Apr
    • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeKyong Kim14 Apr
      • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeJohan De Meersman14 Apr
    • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeGlyn Astill14 Apr
      • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen18 Apr
        • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeRob Wultsch18 Apr
          • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen18 Apr
        • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeJohan De Meersman19 Apr
          • Re: Recommended swap partition sizeEric Bergen19 Apr