List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 14 2010 3:15am
Subject:Re: Recommended swap partition size
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 13), Joe Hammerman said:
> My organization has a dedicated MySQL server. The system has 32Gb of
> memory, and is running CentOS 5.3.  The default engine will be InnoDB.
> Does anyone know how much space should be dedicated to swap?

I say zero swap, or if for some reason you NEED swap (for crashdumps maybe,
but I didn't think Linux supported that), no more than 2GB.  With that much
RAM, you don't ever want to be in the state where the OS decides to page out
8GB of memory (for example) to swap.  We have a few Oracle servers with
between 32 and 48 GB of memory and they all live just fine without swap.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped