List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carsten Pedersen Date:April 6 2010 11:48am
Subject:Re: Converting String to Text in mysql
View as plain text
You can do some trickery with auto increment fields and multiple-column
indexes. Have a look at http://www.bitbybit.dk/carsten/blog/?p=131

Beware that this is apparently a MyISAM-specific trick.

/ Carsten

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:02:48 +0530, "Suryanarayanan"
<nssn@stripped> wrote:
> I am new to mysql and am trying to develop a package in php using mysql
as
> backend database.
>
> I have a table in mysql which has a customer code which is alpha
numeric.
> Eg: J0001 and name and address of the customer. The alphabet signifies
the
> first letter of the name of the customer viz. James. I want to increment
> this code to J0002 when another customer (Jones) details is entered into
> the
> system i.e J0003 and so on. Can any enlightened members help me with
this
> code in mysql. This will be used while coding in php to update the
database
> with the entries made online.
>
> Looking forth for early replies from friends all over the world.
>
> Suryanaryanan
>

> !DSPAM:451,4bbb1148499324901218737!
Thread
Converting String to Text in mysqlSuryanarayanan6 Apr
  • Re: Converting String to Text in mysqlCarsten Pedersen6 Apr