List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mitchell Maltenfort Date:April 3 2010 1:55am
Subject:Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?
View as plain text
Didn't even know that one existed.  It has an attraction, esp. in
terms of backing up the data.

But the link refers to the performance benefit in accessing one line
at a time.  Supposing I was doing a search for all records where a
particular string is present -- what would the overhead be in the
searching of the compressed file?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Walter Heck - OlinData.com
<lists@stripped> wrote:
> Ah, if you are single-user and updating really is a special occasion
> that is completely in your control, you could even use compressed
> MyISAM. That makes the table read-only though, but it does give
> performance benefits:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/myisampack.html
>
> good luck!
>
> Walter Heck

>  Even
> myisam
>>>
>>> His scenario is "perhaps updated once a year", though, so crash recovery and
>>> multiple writer performance is not important.
>>
>> And the concurrent reader and writer number is set at one, unless I
>> undergo mitosis or something.
>>
>> --

MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort2 Apr
  • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Carsten Pedersen2 Apr
    • RE: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Gavin Towey2 Apr
      • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Dan Nelson2 Apr
        • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort3 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Walter Heck - OlinData.com3 Apr
            • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort3 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim6 Apr
RE: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Jan Steinman5 Apr
  • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim8 Apr
    • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?mos8 Apr
      • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim9 Apr
        • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?mos9 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Lucky Wijaya10 Apr