List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 2 2010 9:18pm
Subject:Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 02), Gavin Towey said:
> I disagree.  There's nothing about his requirements that sounds like
> MyIsam is a better solution.  InnoDB should be your default for all
> tables, unless you have specific requirements that need myisam.  One
> specific example of an appropriate task for myisam is where you need very
> high insert throughput, and you're not doing any updates/deletes
> concurrently.
>
> You want the crash safety and data integrity that comes with InnoDB.  Even
> more so as your dataset grows.  It's performance is far better than myisam
> tables for most OLTP users, and as your number of concurrent readers and
> writers grows, the improvement in performance from using innodb over
> myisam becomes more pronounced.

His scenario is "perhaps updated once a year", though, so crash recovery and
multiple writer performance is not important.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort2 Apr
  • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Carsten Pedersen2 Apr
    • RE: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Gavin Towey2 Apr
      • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Dan Nelson2 Apr
        • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort3 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Walter Heck - OlinData.com3 Apr
            • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort3 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim6 Apr
RE: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Jan Steinman5 Apr
  • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim8 Apr
    • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?mos8 Apr
      • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim9 Apr
        • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?mos9 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Lucky Wijaya10 Apr