List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mitchell Maltenfort Date:April 2 2010 7:02pm
Subject:MyISAM better than innodb for large files?
View as plain text
I'm going to be setting up a MySQL database for a project.  My reading
indicates that MyISAM (default) is going to be better than InnoDB for
the project but I want to be sure I have the trade-offs right.

This is going to be a very large data file -- many gigabytes -- only
used internally, and once installed perhaps updated once a year,
queried much more often.

MyISAM apparently has the advantage in memory and time overheads.

InnoDB's advantage seems to be better recovery from disk crashes.

Should I stick with MyISAM (MySQL default), or does the recovery issue
mean I'm better off using InnoDB for an insurance policy?

Inexperienced minds want to know -- ideally, from experienced minds.

Thanks!
Thread
MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort2 Apr
  • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Carsten Pedersen2 Apr
    • RE: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Gavin Towey2 Apr
      • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Dan Nelson2 Apr
        • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort3 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Walter Heck - OlinData.com3 Apr
            • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Mitchell Maltenfort3 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim6 Apr
RE: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Jan Steinman5 Apr
  • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim8 Apr
    • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?mos8 Apr
      • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Kyong Kim9 Apr
        • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?mos9 Apr
          • Re: MyISAM better than innodb for large files?Lucky Wijaya10 Apr