List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carlos Mennens Date:March 30 2010 10:25pm
Subject:Secure Install Removed Root Accounts
View as plain text
Today I installed MySQL 5.1.45-1 on my production server and it
recommended that I run the following:

/usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation

When I ran this, it simply guided me to do the following:

- set root password
- disable remote login for root
- remove 'anonymous' user accounts
- delete 'test' database
- reload privileges now

After doing all the above, I checked my user table and noticed that it
also removed 'root@stripped' & 'root@hostname' accounts. I recall
hearing from many admins that MySQL expects and needs there to be
three accounts for root. Them being 'localhost', 127.0.0.1, and
hostname. Is this false information?

mysql> select User, Password, Host from user;
+------+-------------------------------------------+-----------+
| User | Password                                  | Host      |
| root | *951527F19014ABEFD0390B1409B4CCA97F86AE1F | localhost |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
Thread
Secure Install Removed Root AccountsCarlos Mennens31 Mar
  • Re: Secure Install Removed Root AccountsJohan De Meersman31 Mar
    • Re: Secure Install Removed Root AccountsCarlos Mennens31 Mar
      • Re: Secure Install Removed Root AccountsJohan De Meersman31 Mar
  • Re: Secure Install Removed Root AccountsJohn Daisley31 Mar