List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:March 17 2010 9:02am
Subject:Re: dash was converted o a wierd character
View as plain text
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Michael Dykman <mdykman@stripped> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>
> wrote:
> > On *nix, look for a utility called convmv.
> >
> > I've got a hunch that your original file comes from a windows host, and
> the
> > filenames may have been copied from a word document or something similar.
> > Microsoft knows best, and thus tends to convert regular dashes into some
> > weird, slightly elongated version. If you copy that to a filename, and
> then
> > move that file to a *nix host, you get strange stuff. It's all for your
> own
> > good, apparently.
>
> That is exactly the phenomenon I was referring to.and I run into it
> again and again.
>
> Here is a copy of the table explaining the details of those
> characters.  It should inspire some ideas on how to address these in a
> manner appropriate to your environment.

I would suggest that the manner appropriate to most any environment is to
just use plain ascii for your filenames :-)  The "swung dash" you refer to
is called a tilde, btw, and is mostly used in spanish.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn

Thread
dash was converted o a wierd characterNĂ©stor15 Mar
  • Re: dash was converted o a wierd characterJohan De Meersman16 Mar
    • Re: dash was converted o a wierd characterMichael Dykman16 Mar
      • Re: dash was converted o a wierd characterJohan De Meersman17 Mar
        • Identifiers (was: Re: dash was converted o a wierd character)Joerg Bruehe17 Mar
        • RE: dash was converted o a wierd characterJerry Schwartz17 Mar