List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gavin Towey Date:March 15 2010 6:13pm
Subject:RE: udf return column name not value
View as plain text
You'll have to do something like this:

SET @sql := CONCAT('select ',columnname,' into retval from user where ID=',id);
PREPARE mySt FROM @sql;
EXECUTE mySt;

-----Original Message-----
From: chamila gayan [mailto:cgchamila@stripped]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 12:58 AM
To: mysql@stripped
Subject: udf return column name not value

CREATE FUNCTION getcolumnvalue(id int,columnname varchar(30))
RETURNS varchar(50) DETERMINISTIC
READS SQL DATA
begin
declare retval varchar(50);
return retval;
end;

I want get value of related column but it return column name.
ex:- ('tom' what I want but it return 'name')
plz tell what the wrong of this

thank you

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named.  If you are not the named addressee, you are notified that reviewing,
disseminating, disclosing, copying or distributing this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed
to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not
accept liability for any loss or damage caused by viruses or errors or omissions in the
contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. [FriendFinder
Networks, Inc., 220 Humbolt court, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, USA, FriendFinder.com
Thread
udf return column name not valuechamila gayan15 Mar
  • RE: udf return column name not valueGavin Towey15 Mar
    • Re: udf return column name not valuechamila gayan16 Mar