List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John G. Heim Date:March 10 2010 4:34pm
Subject:mysql & RAID
View as plain text
Hi,

I am working on configuring a new hardware database server. I'm a little
confused as to what to do about disk. We have several mysql databases but by
far the 2 most active are spamassassin bayesian rules and horde3/imp web
mail. Both do a lot of updates. The bayesian rules are added to each time a
spam message comes in for any of our 200 users. And the horde3/imp writes
address book updates and preferences quite often.

I have read (and have been told) to stay away from RAID-5 for
update-intensive systems. Are there performance concerns with RAID-10 as
well? We will be buying from Dell (done deal for reasons too complicated to
go into) and the disks they're selling are 146 Gb. I can get up to 8 of them
in the server we're buying. I asked them about just getting 2 big disks and
going with RAID-1.

My understanding is that with RAID-10, the system can do multiple reads and
writes simultaneously so throughput is improved oversystems w/o RAID or with
RAID-1. But the same logic would apply to RAID-5 only it doesn't work out
that way.

I just want to make sure I'm configuring this system correctly before I
order it.

Thread
mysql & RAIDJohn G. Heim10 Mar
  • Re: mysql & RAIDDan Nelson10 Mar
    • Re: mysql & RAIDWm Mussatto10 Mar
  • Re: mysql & RAIDGlyn Astill11 Mar
  • Re: mysql & RAIDЕвгений Килимчук16 Mar
    • Re: mysql & RAIDJohn Daisley16 Mar