List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Oliver Date:March 8 2010 10:14pm
Subject:Merging deltas from one table to another?
View as plain text
OK, a Drupal site I deal with has two copies... a production site and a
test site.  After new changes are developed, they're put on the test
site.  Once the test site is deemed to be OK, that entire site and
database will be copied over to the production site.

The issue is, while that work is taking place, changes are still
happening on the production site, like new user registrations and some
form input.  What I'm thinking is, we can dump the affected tables and
then import them into the test site, which started life as a mirror copy
of the production site.  If I were to:

mysqldump -h db_server -h user -pPASSWORD database table_1 table_2 >
/tmp/db.sql

On the production side, and then:

mysql -h test_db_server -h user -pPASSWORD database < /tmp/db.sql

Will that result in what I want?  Let's say they both sytart off with
three users, and after the production site is copied to test, a fourth
user is added on the production site.  Will the above commands give me a
test site with the same four users, or will they actually do something
other than what I want, like duplicate the pre-existing users?  Is there
any particular special command to merge only the deltas?

Thanks...

Merging deltas from one table to another?John Oliver8 Mar
  • Re: Merging deltas from one table to another?Don Read10 Mar
    • Re: Merging deltas from one table to another?Ananda Kumar11 Mar
      • RE: Merging deltas from one table to another?Daevid Vincent11 Mar