List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:March 3 2010 11:50am
Subject:Re: Remove 'debian-sys-maint' Account?
View as plain text
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Carlos Williams <carloswill@stripped>wrote:

> I am using Debian 'Squeeze' / Testing on with MySQL 5.1.41-3
> installed. It is a fresh install and I was checking all the system
> accounts and noticed that Debian has a 'debian-sys-maint' account on
> 'localhost'. Has anyone ever removed this account? Do I need it or can
> I safely remove this account? I don't understand why it's there. I
> don't want to break MySQL even though there is no data or databases on
> this machine but I would like to keep this as clean as possible.

As Ian already indicated, this is an administrative account used by Debian
for the system operations they do. It'll probably also be used when you
upgrade packages and similar things.

I would recommend that you keep it, as it's only there for localhost anyway,
and the credentials are in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf with restricted

I also tend to use those credentials for any maintenance scripts I run
myself, so in that way it actually prevents clutter for me :-)

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Remove 'debian-sys-maint' Account?Carlos Williams2 Mar
  • Re: Remove 'debian-sys-maint' Account?Ian Simpson3 Mar
  • Re: Remove 'debian-sys-maint' Account?nixofortune3 Mar
  • Re: Remove 'debian-sys-maint' Account?Johan De Meersman3 Mar