List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesse Date:February 25 2010 11:11pm
Subject:What is "unusually high" for the # of connections to MySQL?
View as plain text
I was wondering what would be considered "unusually high" for the # of
connections to a MySQL Server?  Also, if a high number of these are in
"sleep" mode,does it make a difference?

We have a web site (a few, actually) and MySQL (Version
5.0.67-community-nt-log)  running on a WS08 server, and several times now,
we have basically had the web site "crash" on us.  One tech thought that it
may be the # of connections.  I have seen between 100 to 125 connections or
so at one time 98% of them all from the same user. This is from our asp.net
web application that we're using for testing. The app basically becomes
unresponsive, but I'm not 100% convinced that this is a MySQL problem.  The
site does not even seem to be serving up pages when it gets into this
"mode".

Also, there are other web sites on this same server (not being used a lot at
all), and these sites all seem to come up just fine. There are no connection
issues with the pages or with the data in those applications.

My main questio is this.  Is 100 to 125 unusually high?  I have implemented
a connection pool into my connection string in hopes that this will resolve
the problem.  Here is that string:

uid=usernamer;password=password;Server=127.0.0.1;port=3306;Database=mydatabase;Allow
Zero Datetime=true;pooling=true; max pool size=10; min pool size=3

Someone else suggested this string, but after implementing it and
re-starting the server, we still had the same problem.  My plan is to move
the app to a WS03 server tonight in hopes that the issue is the O/S.

Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks,
Jesse

Thread
What is "unusually high" for the # of connections to MySQL?Jesse26 Feb
  • Re: What is "unusually high" for the # of connections to MySQL?Claudio Nanni26 Feb
  • Re: What is "unusually high" for the # of connections to MySQL?Jesse26 Feb
    • Re: Re: What is "unusually high" for the # of connections to MySQL?claudio.nanni26 Feb
      • Re: Re: What is "unusually high" for the # of connections to MySQL?Ananda Kumar26 Feb