List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Perrin Harkins Date:February 25 2010 3:19pm
Subject:Re: EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variables
View as plain text
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Dan Nelson <dnelson@stripped> wrote:
> IN is fine ( for example ... WHERE field1 IN (1,2,3,4,5,6) is extremely
> efficient);

Yes, I meant to say IN/NOT IN subqueries, not value lists.

> it's subqueries in general that are killers.

Subqueries in the FROM clause (aka derived tables) work pretty well,
acting as an in-line temp table.  Other subqueries perform poorly, as
you say.

- Perrin
Thread
EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variablesYang Zhang24 Feb
  • Re: EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variablesPerrin Harkins24 Feb
    • Re: EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variablesDan Nelson25 Feb
      • Re: EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variablesJohan De Meersman25 Feb
      • Re: EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variablesPerrin Harkins25 Feb
  • Re: EXPLAIN says DEPENDENT SUBQUERY despite no free variablesBaron Schwartz25 Feb