List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Bray Date:April 21 1999 11:13pm
Subject:Ballpark performance.
View as plain text
I know that asking how many queries per second mysql is capable of
handling is a bad question but I really need a ballpark guestimate.

I am trying to forcast my db server needs for the next year or two.  I'm
not worried about the web server end of things because web servers are
easily scalable, db servers are not.

Basically if I were to get a pretty hot machine (something like dual
processors and 1/2 gig of ram) dedicated to mySQL I need to know about how
many queries per second I could expect to get of it.

The query breakdown would be something like this:
  50% Simple SELECT (NO JOINS) returning 50-100 records each.
  25% More complex SELECT queries (Containing Joins) usually returning a
      single row but sometimes more.
  20% Updates
   5% Other

 And lets say that the main tables being maipulated contain approxamately
a million records each.

As I said I know this is a bad question.  Too many variables but I just
want a ballpark (say 50 queries/sec 100 queries/sec or what?)

Thanks in advance,
  Brian Bray
  BookmarkTracker.com

Thread
Ballpark performance.Brian Bray22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Sasha Pachev22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Daniel Koch22 Apr
RE: Ballpark performance.tcobb22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Matthias Pigulla22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)23 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Derick H Siddoway23 Apr