List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:February 23 2010 6:50pm
Subject:RE: Partitioning
View as plain text

From: vegivamp@stripped [mailto:vegivamp@stripped] On Behalf Of Johan De Meersman
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:52 AM
To: Jerry Schwartz

that's very much gonna depend on what your selects look like. For example, a
low-cardinality but often-where'd field makes an interesting candidate, as such a
partitioning will take the size of your table scans down. If you know that you'll mostly
access just last month's data, partition on year+month.

YMMV.

[JS] This is a thought experiment. The cardinality is excellent, since a give product
typically has one or two prices.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz