List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Manasi Save Date:February 19 2010 12:19pm
Subject:Re: Using symlinks for database creation in mysql
View as plain text
Hi All,

When I am creating a symlink with a special character in database name
it appears in mysql as somthing like this
#mysql50#dbname.

For Ex:- I have created a symlink in mysql data directory named
"User.Name" which appeared to me in mysql command line client as
"#mysql50#User.Name

Can anyone help me on how to resolve this error.

Please Help.
Thanks in advance.

Manasi Save

Quoting Manasi Save <manasi.save@stripped>:

> Hi Johan,
>
> Some time back you have solved my problem of creating symlink as
> database was fixed. But now When I am putting special characters in
> symlinks like "." it is not readable as database. If I am creating
> database with special characters from mysql command line I can create
> it but an symlink with special character is not readable.
>
> Is it possible that I can read a symplink with special characters as databse.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Manasi Save
>

> Quoting Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>:
> > Given that you're talking about "quite a few" folders, I think it'd be good
> > to check up on the theoretical and practical limits for your filesystem of
> > choice, though - ext2 for example starts getting noticeably slower when you
> > have a lot more than 10.000 entries in the same directory. One way of
> > getting around that would be segmenting your database names in blocks of
> > three or so (so "database" would be stored under dat/aba/se/<datafiles>).
>
> > Takes a bit of management, but then you already have something in place to
> > create the symlinks anyway.
> >
> > Also, as a matter of manageability, I'd not put your real database dirs
> > somwhere where there is other stuff - make a separate directory and keep
> > them all there.
> >
> > Another point of note, but I suppose you already know that, is that this
> > will not work with InnoDB unless you have the file-per-table option
> enabled.
> >

> > -- Bier met grenadyn
> > Is als mosterd by den wyn
> > Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
> > Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel
>

> -- MySQL General Mailing List
> To unsubscribe:
> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1

Thread
Re: Using symlinks for database creation in mysqlManasi Save19 Feb
  • Re: Using symlinks for database creation in mysqlJohan De Meersman22 Feb
    • Re: Using symlinks for database creation in mysqlBaron Schwartz26 Feb
Re: Using symlinks for database creation in mysqlManasi Save19 Feb
  • RE: Using symlinks for database creation in mysqlDaevid Vincent19 Feb