List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:February 18 2010 10:31am
Subject:Re: how things get messed up
View as plain text
>We have applications for colleges in India. The same idea of having single
>table for manipulating students records. but we are not following archiving
> >concept.
>
>Ex stupersonal. and stuclass these tables are playing wide role in our
>application. After 7 years now there are 9000 records[postgresql backend]
> >are there in the table. Because of this the entire application [ Fees,
>attendance, exams etc] performance is getting down. For the remedy of this
>I >proposed this year wise architecture for our new version [mysql].
>
>I have problem in year wise also, i have number of mutual related tables
>for students such as stu_last_studies, stu_family_details, stu_address,
> >stu_extracurri and so on. If i go for year basisis i have to make all the
>above tables also year basis.
>Hence, I feel it difficult have such number of tables after few years.
>
>As you said the archive system, can you the idea about the archive
>system[If needed i will give the table structures].
>
>It will be grate help to me.

If you have performance problems with just 9000 records, there's something
seriously wrong with your queries and indices and/or your application code.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
how things get messed upJohn G. Heim10 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upBuford Tannen10 Feb
  • RE: how things get messed upIlya Kazakevich10 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upCui Shijun11 Feb
      • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
        • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJoerg Bruehe11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJochem van Dieten11 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upDavid Giragosian11 Feb
  • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies11 Feb
    • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upAnn W. Harrison12 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upVikram A12 Feb
        • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
          • Re: how things get messed upVikram A12 Feb
            • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz16 Feb
              • RE: how things get messed upMartin Gainty16 Feb
                • Re: how things get messed upBarry Leslie17 Feb
              • Re: how things get messed upVikram A18 Feb
                • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz18 Feb
                  • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman18 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman16 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upPaul McCullagh17 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upAnn W. Harrison15 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman16 Feb
      • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz16 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies18 Feb
RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz22 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upVikram A24 Feb