List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vikram A Date:February 18 2010 4:41am
Subject:Re: how things get messed up
View as plain text
Dear Jerry Schwartz

We have applications for colleges in India. The same idea of having single table for
manipulating students records. but we are not following archiving concept.

Ex stupersonal. and stuclass these tables are playing wide role in our application. After
7 years now there are 9000 records[postgresql backend] are there in the table. Because of
this the entire application [ Fees, attendance, exams etc] performance is getting down.
For the remedy of this I proposed this year wise architecture for our new version
[mysql].

I have problem in year wise also, i have number of mutual related tables for students
such as stu_last_studies, stu_family_details, stu_address, stu_extracurri and so on. If i
go for year basisis i have to make all the above tables also year basis.
Hence, I feel it difficult have such number of tables after few years.

As you said the archive system, can you the idea about the archive system[If needed i
will give the table structures].

It will be grate help to me.

Thank you

VIKRAM A