List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:February 16 2010 4:02pm
Subject:RE: how things get messed up
View as plain text

[JS] As the one who started this topic, I can't agree more. I was away for
several days, but I must insert that I'm not a novice (although I haven't
looked at the internals of a database for several years). Some of the things
that can affect data transfer between the client and the physical storage are:

- Seek time of the mechanics
- Internal buffering in the physical drives
- Delayed writing at the device level
- Ability, or lack thereof, of the drives and/or controllers to chain commands
- Ability, or lack thereof, of the drives and/or controllers to reorder
chained commands
- Raid level
- Buss speed
- Raw vs. file system storage
- Fragmentation of the file allocation on the disks
- Ability of the file system to do anticipatory reads
- File system buffer strategies
- File system buffer size/number
- Database engine buffer strategies
- Database engine buffer size/number
- Fragmentation of the tables within the data file (if applicable)
- Fragmentation of the data within the tables
- Design of the database/tables
- Ability of the engine to optimize queries
- Ability of the programmer to write sane queries
- Use, design, and optimization of stored procedures
- Speed of the pipe between the client and the database host
- Efficiency of the database access library
- Language in which the client application is written (compiled vs.
interpreted being the big differentiator)
- Efficiency of the client's handling of the retrieved data
- Efficiency of the presentation layer
- Speed of the pipe between the client and the user
- ROI on optimizing any or all of the above
- Management meddling

A profiler that could integrate all of the above would be a nifty tool,
wouldn't it?

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
195 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06032

860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341

www.the-infoshop.com

>Cheers,
>
>Ann
>

>--
>infoshop.com

Thread
how things get messed upJohn G. Heim10 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upBuford Tannen10 Feb
  • RE: how things get messed upIlya Kazakevich10 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upCui Shijun11 Feb
      • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
        • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJoerg Bruehe11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJochem van Dieten11 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upDavid Giragosian11 Feb
  • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies11 Feb
    • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upAnn W. Harrison12 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upVikram A12 Feb
        • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
          • Re: how things get messed upVikram A12 Feb
            • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz16 Feb
              • RE: how things get messed upMartin Gainty16 Feb
                • Re: how things get messed upBarry Leslie17 Feb
              • Re: how things get messed upVikram A18 Feb
                • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz18 Feb
                  • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman18 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman16 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upPaul McCullagh17 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upAnn W. Harrison15 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman16 Feb
      • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz16 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies18 Feb
RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz22 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upVikram A24 Feb