List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:February 12 2010 8:53am
Subject:Re: how things get messed up
View as plain text
On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Vikram A <vikkiatbipl@stripped> wrote:

> I am in the situation to storing student and staff images. every year 2000
> new photos has to be added in our application.
>
> Can i have your suggestion, which is the best one, storing as a blob Or
> using NFS?
> It will be great help to me, because such experts are sharing your own
> experience on this binary storage issue.

I never said you had to grovel, though :-p

This whole thread has been a discussion of just that. My personal opinion is
that it's better to store binary objects (like images) out-of-band, for
instance on an NFS system like you suggest. Other people on the list have
made their own arguments for BLOB storage.

In the end, it's down to your own situation and decisions, but I will keep
defending the position that filesystems are made for storing files, and
databases are made for storing data - it saves you on both database and PHP
requests, as (from a web point of view) you can't return the image data
inside your HTML - it requires a second HTTP call. Filesystem image serving,
however, could perfectly be offloaded to a subdomain that runs a
lightweight, threaded HTTP server that need not run the heavy PHP processes.
You could even run that on your NFS server, if you want.

If you do go for BLOBs, though, for god's sake keep them in a separate
table, lest you fragment your datafiles. Split records are a disaster for
performance.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn

Thread
how things get messed upJohn G. Heim10 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upBuford Tannen10 Feb
  • RE: how things get messed upIlya Kazakevich10 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upCui Shijun11 Feb
      • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
        • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJoerg Bruehe11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJochem van Dieten11 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upDavid Giragosian11 Feb
  • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies11 Feb
    • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz11 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upAnn W. Harrison12 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies12 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upVikram A12 Feb
        • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman12 Feb
          • Re: how things get messed upVikram A12 Feb
            • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz16 Feb
              • RE: how things get messed upMartin Gainty16 Feb
                • Re: how things get messed upBarry Leslie17 Feb
              • Re: how things get messed upVikram A18 Feb
                • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz18 Feb
                  • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman18 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman16 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upPaul McCullagh17 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies15 Feb
    • Re: how things get messed upAnn W. Harrison15 Feb
      • Re: how things get messed upJohan De Meersman16 Feb
      • RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz16 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upMartijn Tonies18 Feb
RE: how things get messed upJerry Schwartz22 Feb
  • Re: how things get messed upVikram A24 Feb