List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:February 5 2010 2:40pm
Subject:Re: Help optimizing settings?
View as plain text
Using "load index" might help, but you'll have to make sure you allocate
plenty of space to your keycache. If the queries are identical, the query
cache might also be a good candidate, but that seems unlikely.

The memory will also be used by your OS to cache often-used parts of the
filesystem, including the data- and index files. This will also help.

Consider using compressed (archive) tables, as they require less disk I/O
for a given amount of data to be retrieved. Consider additional indexes,
maybe even clustered indexes if the dataset you need is very close to what
you use in the where-clause.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken@stripped> wrote:

> I've got a fairly large -- 100+ GB -- MySQL database.  It isn't accessed
> often -- it's acting more as an archive right now than anything else.
> That being said, when it does get accessed, the indeces seem to take
> forever to load.  Being as I just bumped the RAM from 2 GB to 6 GB, what,
> generically, would be the best way to go forward to take advantage of the
> extra RAM?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ken

> believed to be clean.

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
Help optimizing settings?Ken D'Ambrosio5 Feb
  • Re: Help optimizing settings?Johan De Meersman5 Feb
  • RE: Help optimizing settings?Ilya Kazakevich5 Feb
  • Re: Help optimizing settings?Olaf Stein5 Feb