List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:February 1 2010 3:05pm
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text

>>> And normalizing is a goal in itself? I've seen plenty of "normalized"
>>> databases which have become a big mess because of the unnecessarily
>>> complex queries you needed to do a relatively simple job.
>>
>> No, it's not a goal in itself, that's not what I said.
>
> I didn't say that you said that. You stated that "Normalizing gets
> you -more- tables". It wasn't mentioned why you wanted to "normalize" the
> database in the first place. To me your statement looked like it said that
> "normalizing" a database would be a requirement for any database.

Yes, that's a good thing, unless it's an OLAP database. It improves
data consistency and avoids NULLs in storage, which is good.

> This automatically would produce queries with 61+ joins in them.
>
>>> A lot of the "enterprise level" features can be useful in certain cases,
>>
>> Normalizing data has nothing to do with "enterprise level", it's a matter
>> if keeping your data consistent, being able to create proper constraints
>> at the database, for example.
>
> Normalizing has nothing to do with "enterprise level", but joining complex
> views has. Don't ask yourself why you've created the views, just use them
> in a join.
> So normalize each database because you may want to create constraints in
> some situations?

Constraints are a good thing.

> This is the behaviour which causes unnecessarily complex databases,
> queries and applications.

Unless you don't value your data very much, I consider normalizing,
database constraints etc a "pro", not a "con".

> If you ask yourself if normalizing a column in a table is useful and if
> you really need the constraint and if the view, stored procedure, function
> or whatever you use is really useful, chances are that the application is
> a lot simpler, faster and easier to maintain.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan