List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jigal van Hemert Date:February 1 2010 10:23am
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
Martijn Tonies wrote:

>>> Why not? Normalizing gets you -more- tables, not less.
>>
>> And normalizing is a goal in itself? I've seen plenty of "normalized"
>> databases which have become a big mess because of the unnecessarily
>> complex queries you needed to do a relatively simple job.
>
> No, it's not a goal in itself, that's not what I said.

I didn't say that you said that. You stated that "Normalizing gets you
-more- tables". It wasn't mentioned why you wanted to "normalize" the
database in the first place. To me your statement looked like it said
that "normalizing" a database would be a requirement for any database.
This automatically would produce queries with 61+ joins in them.

>> A lot of the "enterprise level" features can be useful in certain cases,
>
> Normalizing data has nothing to do with "enterprise level", it's a matter
> if keeping your data consistent, being able to create proper constraints
> at the database, for example.

Normalizing has nothing to do with "enterprise level", but joining
complex views has. Don't ask yourself why you've created the views, just
use them in a join.
So normalize each database because you may want to create constraints in
some situations?

This is the behaviour which causes unnecessarily complex databases,
queries and applications.

If you ask yourself if normalizing a column in a table is useful and if
you really need the constraint and if the view, stored procedure,
function or whatever you use is really useful, chances are that the
application is a lot simpler, faster and easier to maintain.

--
Jigal van Hemert.
Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan