List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:February 1 2010 9:33am
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
> Martijn Tonies wrote:
>>> database.  I would also bet that 80% of the people who are actually
>>> writing queries with that many joins don't have a solid grasp of the
>>> fundamental principles of relational database design.
>>
>> Why not? Normalizing gets you -more- tables, not less.
>
> And normalizing is a goal in itself? I've seen plenty of "normalized"
> databases which have become a big mess because of the unnecessarily
> complex queries you needed to do a relatively simple job.

No, it's not a goal in itself, that's not what I said.

> A lot of the "enterprise level" features can be useful in certain cases,

Normalizing data has nothing to do with "enterprise level", it's a matter
if keeping your data consistent, being able to create proper constraints
at the database, for example.

> but it seems that a lot of times they are just used simply to use them. I
> cannot find justification for making databases unnecessarily complex,
> using subqueries when a simple join is all you need, using views,
> functions, stored procedures in cases that don't require such features,
> etc.
>
> I agree that a lot of people requiring more powerful hard- and software
> for their application are simply forgetting that they were supposed to
> produce a working application and not the most normalized database with
> all the fancy views and other stuff.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan