List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carl Date:February 1 2010 1:08am
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
I once was selling a system to an organization.  I recommended an IBM AIX
box for about $30,000.  A competitor was charging $30,000 for the software
and said it had to run on an AS/400 that would cost in excess of $200,000.
I lost the sale because the IBM salesman said, quite candidly, 'I make more
commission on the AS/400 so that's the one I am selling.'

Oracle is very similar.  They are managed to make money.  I suspect we will
see licensing fees and required support contracts because they can now
charge them.  And, an Oracle consultant to write a join with 100-200 joins?
Oracle will sell it if they can convince the customer.

Just some thoughts.