List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jigal van Hemert Date:January 30 2010 1:17pm
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
Martijn Tonies wrote:
>> database.  I would also bet that 80% of the people who are actually
>> writing queries with that many joins don't have a solid grasp of the
>> fundamental principles of relational database design.
>
> Why not? Normalizing gets you -more- tables, not less.

And normalizing is a goal in itself? I've seen plenty of "normalized"
databases which have become a big mess because of the unnecessarily
complex queries you needed to do a relatively simple job.

A lot of the "enterprise level" features can be useful in certain cases,
but it seems that a lot of times they are just used simply to use them.
I cannot find justification for making databases unnecessarily complex,
using subqueries when a simple join is all you need, using views,
functions, stored procedures in cases that don't require such features, etc.

I agree that a lot of people requiring more powerful hard- and software
for their application are simply forgetting that they were supposed to
produce a working application and not the most normalized database with
all the fancy views and other stuff.

--
Jigal van Hemert.
Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan