List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:January 29 2010 10:03pm
Subject:Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
At 01:57 PM 1/29/2010, Chris W wrote:
>fsb wrote:
>>as a relatively unsophisticated dbms user (just dynamic web site back end),
>>i thought it was very interesting to see the kinds of things oracle users do
>>that i'd never have imagined.
>>
>>more than 61 joins in a query?! man, those guys are hardcore.
>>

>Hardcore stupid if you ask me.  I suppose it is "possible" to have a valid
>reason (can't imagine what it might be) for using more than 61 joins.  But
>I would be willing to bet that 99.99% of the time if you get even close to
>that many joins you have a very poorly designed database.
>I would also bet that 80% of the people who are actually writing queries
>with that many joins don't have a solid grasp of the fundamental
>principles of relational database design.
>
>Chris W

I noticed the article didn't say how much money you'll save by not paying
through the nose for Oracle per server licensing, the cost of upgrading
your hardware to get some speed out of Oracle, or the cost of having to
hire one or more Oracle administrators to manage and tweak the database. I
guess they forgot to mention that. :-)

Mike

Thread
50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLchanguno 28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohan De Meersman28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLpaul rivers28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn Meyer28 Jan
    • RE: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLDaevid Vincent28 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl28 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohnny Withers29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLfsb29 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLChris W29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLmos29 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLTom Worster1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLCarl1 Feb
            • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMichael Dykman1 Feb
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan30 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLShawn Green30 Jan
          • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLRudy Lippan31 Jan
        • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJørn Dahl-Stamnes29 Jan
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert30 Jan
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
      • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJigal van Hemert1 Feb
    • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies1 Feb
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLJohn G. Heim29 Jan
  • Re: 50 things to know before migrating from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies29 Jan